Tuesday 15 October 2013

Theater Show: Pip Utton's Hitler (By Going Solo in India)

A Thinker's Play: 4 / 5

When I went to see this play, I knew nothing about it. I just knew that it talks about understanding how a nation allowed a man like Adolf Hitler to take control. So, I thought may be a bit of history and psychology. should be interesting... let's give it a try... blah blah...

But oh so! what I didn't expect was pure ingenuity at work. Had I known the format, may be I wouldn't have been so surprised by it. and therefore not as delighted as I am with it!

The play starts with a monologue (well.. it's a solo act play) by Hitler. Most of his thoughts - that are spoken on the stage - if you have been interested in Hitler and have read about him - then it would all be quite familiar. After 20 minutes  - I was thinking... Did I come to see this? An extempore...Whats wrong with theater these days... why do the audience think its great ... as I saw a lot of people giving loud laughs in first half - which I failed to understand - the words "marriage" and "mistress" comes and Delhi audience are laughing like its the most clever joke in the world.

Sincerely speaking Pip seemed too good natured to be Hitler. I know,  to an actor its not a compliment - but yes, he lacked the edginess of Hitler, or may be thats just the way I imagine Hitler to be. He was very good with the dialogues and delivery but I was in no mood to see a speech!

25 minutes later - no matter how good the speech was...
I was beginning to roll my eyes - when the things changed!!!!


Pip Utton in Adolf

What happened next was the actor taking off his mask... and I really don't want to say it all... but yes, becoming a Hitler in front of your eyes... in guileless, harmless persona of a man next door.

The beauty is you don't realize where he is headed. As an Indian - I felt a few parts were insulting. And I was wondering why an artist is talking the way he is.. but then ... then the penny dropped...I got the drift - and imagined am a British - and seeing the play - and then one gets into the rhythm...

He evolves into the character... smoothly seamlessly and the first act just falls into the block beautifully!
It tells you what a transition he has gone through and taken you along with him - (just think like a Brit for sometime to really feel it)

After this twist the play was quite good! I didn't expect what he did in last 2 minutes of it.
That raised the bar to whole new level.

The play makes you comfortable by its middle... gets you thinking towards its latter half... but towards its end - it educates you.
It tells you what you need to look out for and to avoid!
I am not using the lines though they ring in my ears.. the act, the words and the performance.

For it is to be seen and experienced.

The play looks simple - but is piece of art - where the audience are lulled into comfort, then made aware of their own dark side and naivety ... and then left with a good piece of advice and caution.

A sheer delight... am so glad I could make it! Catch it if its happening anywhere around you.

And last but not the least... it's not preachy...Utton does make it fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment